Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I'm not an addict, baby

So, umm, yeah. The outspoken crochet girl can knit. Surprise surprise I know, lol. I am self-taught, learned in high school from a big Reader's Digest book 'o many crafts (what embroidery I know comes from there as well). Knitting was actually the first craft my grandma tried to teach me. She sat me down with plastic needles and fuzzy white yarn. It didn't take, but then again fidgety, impatient eight-year-old + 2 plastic double points with no caps = knitting that slides right off the other end much to the irritation of both parties. So I stuck with crochet. Until recently.

My first intended knitting project was 2 Dr. Who scarves. One was supposed to be about 20' long and done in the season 16 colors. The other was supposed to be 28' and all white. I tried knitting them, I tried crocheting them. All the king's horses and all the king's men could not find enough psychedelic drugs to make me want to finish them. Seriously, this was a huge mistake, so they are not mentioned anymore. I may, however, eventually have a Dr. Who Babette, lol.

So then I found Garden Dishcloths to Knit. I was thinking I'd be all sneaking and convert them to tunisian crochet, until I rediscovered that it curls worse than regular stockinette in knitting. So I armed myself with my how to knit book and web sites and ... voila! The sunflower was born.



The sunflower is hard to see, the variegated yarn doesn't help I know, but damnit it is what I had and is interesting to me. I think it turned out fairly well.



My butterfly, actually in my head, hippy butterfly. Sugar and Cream buttercream variegated rocks my socks (even though it's too warm to wear socks, lol). I cranked this one out in a day. Until my arm started to ache from working with this all day. I forgot, cotton yarn does not like to give, and being a newbie, I was really cranking on the stitches still. Especially since I was attempting to NOT hold the left needle in my armpit. Weirdo habit from when I taught myself in high school, don't ask.



And the in progress hippy frog. I was working up to this one. The colors of the yarn match a friend's tattoo, so of course I had to make it for her :)

So, no, I'm not addicted to dishcloths or anything. I haven't been working on them at home to the exclusion of everything else (although, in my defense, a lapful of baby blankie is not pleasant in the heat and the dishcloths require no lap).

1 comment:

Laura said...

The dishcloths look great! And, yes, this weather is at least in part responsible for my sudden desire to crochet many tiny blanket squares. :)