Friday, November 16, 2007

My swatch, let me show you it

I've been whining and complaining that I have a shawl/stole pattern roaming around in my head. I took a concrete step toward starting it and swatched the specialty stitch I want to use. It's a bit of a pain, but quite pretty. I'm a bit worried about drape though. However, right now I'm working it in yarn that would have gone into an afghan that I've given up on for the moment. Easy to replace. Anyway, without any further ado, thistle stitch.


It's a very textural stitch, and I'm planning on using it sparingly. It's kind of bizarre to be working them this close together. Thank heavens it is easier than it looks like. Now to plan the rest of it. There's probably going to be at least three more swatches before I start working out exactly what I want to do. At least it is forward motion. :)

2 comments:

Lara said...

That is gorgeous! Did you make that up yourself? I am dying to know how to do it!!

teesagypsy said...

Thanks! Yep, I made it myself. If you happen to have Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet, it's called "thistle" in the stitch dictionary section.

It really isn't as tough as it looks, but just from the way it is worked the back is a bit dimply. If you've ever done crocheted cables you will kind of get an idea of what I'm talking about.